Google Noto Fonts is a project from Google to provide a better reading experience. Google Noto is a font family and it is designed to cover all the scripts encoded in the Unicode standard. Noto font package covers almost all the major languages around the world, which includes European, African, Middle Eastern, Indic, South and Southeast Asian, Central Asian, American, East Asian languages and several minority and historical languages are also supported. The main concept of this project is to provide a good reading experience to everyone around the world and for all the languages. Its design goal is to make visual harmonization across languages. All the fonts are available for free of cost, you can preview and download at any time. All information about the Google Noto Fonts is available in its Official website. Also Noto fonts is a project were many fonts are added often, you can know the change log in its Project page.
As of now there are around 96 fonts available in the Noto package, which includes almost all the languages around the world. Google Noto Fonts are released under the Apache License 2.0.
How To Preview Fonts?
You can preview the noto fonts before you download. Noto Fonts webpage was designed in an innovative way with a world map. Below the map you can have the list of fonts listed, if you want to preview any font, just link the font name and it will show the specimens of the font.
How To Download?
As i said, Noto Fonts webpage was designed in an innovative way with a world map which has the languages spoken in the particular country. You can simply click on your country to known the languages packages and start downloading the packages. You can also download separate language packages from the fonts listed below the map.
If you are not familiar with maps then you can search your language with the search bar and start download.
You can also download all fonts in a single package. The package is in ZIP format and 135.7 MB in size.
How to Install Noto fonts?
Installing the Google Noto fonts will not required any more works or software. We can install it just like a normal font. However, I have listed the steps below for the newbies.
- Download the font package (.zip) and Uncompress it.
- Search for “fonts” in the Start Menu or go to Start → Control Panel → Appearance and Personalization → Fonts
- Select all fonts and drag them into the Fonts folder
For OS X:
- Download the font package (.zip) and then Double click on the package to uncompress it
- Select all the font files and double-click
- Font Book will open and show a preview of the font
- Click on the “Install” button
- Download the font package (.zip) and Uncompress it
- Select all needed fonts and right click. On the right-click menu, click on Open With Font Viewer
- Click on the “Install Font” button on each preview window
What is Noto Sans CJK :
Recently Noto Sans CJK is released with full support for Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, and Korean [CJK]. It is a sans serif typeface designed as an intermediate style between the modern and traditional. It is intended to be a multi-purpose digital font for user interface designs, digital content, reading on laptops, mobile devices, and electronic books. Know More.
Downloads for Noto Sans CJK:
3 different formats for Noto Sans CJK available. Design/glyphs in the font variants are the same.
- Language specific fonts in OTF for Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese and Korean.
- Noto Sans CJK in OTC – A smaller amount of space used and more convenient to install. This format works with Mac and Linux.
- Multilingual fonts in OTF – It requires that the software specifies the language. If no language is specified then by default the language used is Japanese.