Google has announced, the developer preview of its next Android version on Wednesday [9-March-2016]. Even many of the android users haven’t experienced the current stable version of android which is MarshMallow, but Google hardly working on its next version named Android N for now. The Name was not finalized yet for the next version. The finalized name will be announced in the Google I/O 2016 which is going to happen during summer. The users can experience the Android N Developer Preview starting from today.
Before announcing any final version of Android operating system, Google will launch the developer preview to the developers. So that, the bugs can be fixed before it reaches the end user. In addition to the developer preview factor images for nexus devices, Google announced the Android Beta Program which is new this year.
Android Beta Program:
Nexus devices are always the first devices which are eligible to get the factory image of the developer previews, where the user can download the factory image and then flashing the ROM on their nexus devices. But many users are not familiar with flashing the ROMs and it requires some manual work. To avoid such scenarios, Google has gone one step forward and announced the Android Beta program, so now the users who want to try the new android versions can get the preview version via OTA update and test it on their devices. As of now the OTA update was limited to Nexus devices only. This will not require any manual actions like flashing the ROM.
How To EnRoll for Android Beta Program:
1. If you have any of the listed devices, then you can sign up for the beta program.
Eligible Devices List: Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, Pixel C tablet, Nexus 9 and Nexus Player.
2. Go to Android Beta Program Official Page.
3. Login with your Google account which is configured on your Nexus device.
4. On the next page, the list of your eligible devices will be shown.
5. Now click Enroll Device near to your device, where you want to experience the Android N.
6. On the next page, accept the terms and click on Join Beta.
When Will I receive the update:
In few hours, after enrolling the device for OTA update, you device will be prompted to install an Android system update. Google has mentioned that the OTA update will reach your device within 24 hrs after enrolling the device. But in many cases, the OTA update reached within few minutes after enrolling the device.
Size of the Update:
The OTA update size is ~ 1 GB and it slightly varies on devices.
How To Leave the Beta Program:
1. Go to Android Beta Program Official Page.
2. Login with your Google account which is configured on your Nexus device.
3. On the next page, the list of your eligible devices will be shown.
4. Now click UnEnroll Device near to your device.
Now another OTA update will be sent to your device to set the stable version on your android device.
Nexus users, no more waiting, go ahead and try the new version of Android right now on your devices.