Someday every Mac user notices a reduction in free space on his/her device by the files, which have not been used for a long time but only stored on the Other disk. It is impossible to remove it entirely, and we have doubts that anyone wants this. But you can clean your computer from garbage and get more free space for new games, apps or presentations. This guide to deleting other storage on mac has been prepared especially for you.
What’s the Other?
The “Other” consists of a massive number of different file formats:
- documents like PDF, PSD, doc, and others;
- system folders’ temporary documents
- archives and disk images, including zips, dmg, iso, tar, etc.;
- cache items, including browser cache and locally stored message media docs;
- electronic documents not recognized by Spotlight
- custom libraries (Application Support, iCloud);
- different user data.
Now you realize, there is not much rubbish here. But there several ways to clean this storage do exist.
Before the storage cleaning up, you are recommended to check how much space “Other” takes on your computer. To do this, you should open the Apple menu, go to “About this Mac” and select the “Storage” tab.
Do not forget to clean the trash holder up. You can use “To clean up the trash automatically” option, which deletes the docs that are in the Trash for more than half a month without the possibility of recovery.
Take a look at the “Downloads”, “Documents” folders and attachments in “Messages”. All docs from those folders belong to the “Other”.
You can also use the Gemini, DaisyDisk or CleanMyMac tools to clean your computer.
Junk Docs Removal Option
The “Delete Junk Files” option helps you find large docs and those that you do not use anymore. Click the “Browse Files” button, then select any file categories on the sidebar: “Programs,” “Documents”,” GarageBand”, “iOS Files”, iTunes, or “Trash.”
Some categories allow the direct removal of the docs. To do this choose the file and press the “x” button to delete it without the possibility of recovery immediately. If you purchased the file in the Mac App Store, iBooks Store or iTunes Store, you would be able to download it again.
Clear Other storage manually
Even without using the storage optimization functions in MAC you can take some actions to free up storage space.
- Delete the docs you no longer need by moving them to the Trash Holder, and then clean it up. Unnecessary ones are often copied in the Downloads folder.
- Copy what you want to delete to an external drive.
- Compress the electronic docs.
- Delete unnecessary e-mail messages by selecting Mailbox and press Empty Spam. If you no longer need emails in the trash, select Inbox and choose Empty Trash.
How to delete via Finder smart folder
Another possibility to delete unnecessary documents is search through the Finder. You need to be on the desktop. Then you have to press ⌘Cmd + F to open the Search via smart folder. Make sure that the search will be in This Mac section. In the Type field, you are to select Other. In the list that you will see, choose the File size. In the second field, select More than and in the third field you need to enter a number.
Be careful with deletion of something in the system folder. It can bring you more troubles than you expected. We recommend to asl for an experienced MAC user to remove the documents that take too much space on your device.