To have the Website backup is one of the mandatory work for all the web site owners, because it is one of the way to prevent your works. I recommended all the site owners to take a backup of the entire site or a particular directory when you make many changes. In this tutorial, i have listed the steps on how to generate/backup entire website or a particular directory of the website in a cPanel web hosting control panel. If you have a linux based web hosting plan, then 99% all the web hosting providers support cPanel control panel. Before we go i let you know a short description about cPanel.
What is cPanel?
cPanel is a graphical web-based [Linux] control panel that helps you quickly and easily manage your website and hosting account. cPanel is the most popular web hosting control panel. With cPanel you can manage email accounts, databases, applications, security, FTP and control every aspect of your websites.
How To Generate/Download a Full Website Backup:
1. Login to your cPanel control panel and navigate to “Files” Tab.
2. Now Click on “Backups”.
Backups allow you to download (to your computer) a zipped copy of either your entire site (including your home directory, databases, email forwarders configuration, and email filters configuration) or one of the previously mentioned parts of your site.
3. There are two options available “Full Backup” and “Partial Backups”.
- A full backup includes all the files in your home directory, your MySQL databases, and your email forwarders and filters. You can back up your account to keep your data, or to move your account to another cPanel server.
- To Generate a Full Backup, click on “Download or Generate a Full Website Backup” button.
- Now you will promoted to the next page were you can choose the “Backup Destination” and specify the email address were you want to receive the confirmation when the backup completes.
- Backup of the entire website will take some time to complete, once completed you will receive a confirmation of completion to the email id you specified. After the completion, the available download links will be available in the same page as shown in the screenshot below.
- As the name indicates, you can take backup partially which means you can take backup of MySQL Databases, Email forwarders, Email Filters, Home Directory separately.
You can also do this by navigating to “Backup Wizard” link in the “Files” Tab. Start taking backup of your site’s periodically to avoid any loss of your work.
Please comment if you have any queries.