Windows 8 Start Screen is one of the major update when compared to windows 7. Whenever you login in to windows 8 operating system it directly takes you to the start screen. Later Microsoft update it to windows 8.1 which has an option to by pass it and directly go to desktop. Microsoft also allow users to customize the start screen. If you misplaced any start screen items or you accidentally deleted any items from start screen, there is a way to get your start screen. Lets see how to backup and restore Windows 8 Start Screen.
How To Backup Windows 8 Start Screen:
Before you start customize start screen. Backup it first.
1. Open Run Windows [Press Windows Key + R]
2. Type “%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows” [without quotes] and press enter.
3. Now a window will open, check for the files “appsFolder.itemdata-ms” and “appsfolder.itemdata-ms.bak”
4. Copy it to your backup folder.
Now your start screen was Backed up.
How To Restore Windows 8 Start Screen :
1. If you want to restore your start screen. Just copy the two files “appsFolder.itemdata-ms” and “appsfolder.itemdata-ms.bak” from your backup folder.
2. Open Run Windows [Press Windows Key + R]
3. Type “%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows” [without quotes] and press enter.
4. Paste the two files and if it prompts for overwrite, click yes.
Now your start screen was restored.